We Work Closely With Personal Representatives And Trustees

A properly drafted will or trust provides the roadmap for a smooth settlement of affairs after a death occurs. However, estates don’t settle themselves – carrying out the terms of the plan is the job of the personal representative or trustee appointed in the plan documents.

If you are named as personal representative or trustee in the will or trust of a Florida resident, you will be concerned to know:

  • Does the estate have to go through “probate”?
  • How do I avoid being held personally liable for the decedent’s debts, or unpaid taxes?
  • Do I need a lawyer? How does the lawyer get paid?
  • The will says the decedent’s property is to be sold and divided among several persons. How do I go about selling the property? How am I protected in dealing with the beneficiaries? What about taxes on the sale?
  • Do I get paid for the job of handling the estate?
  • How long is this going to take, and what will it cost?

If you are a person who has learned that you are a beneficiary under the will or trust of a Florida resident who has died, you will be concerned to know:

  • What do I have to do to receive my share?
  • Is my share of the estate taxable?
  • What if someone contests the will? (Or, what if I want to contest the will?)
  • How long is this going to take, and what will it cost?

The lawyers at Mellor & Backo, LLP, in North Port, practice daily in the Florida courts, representing and advising personal representatives and trustees as they go about carrying out their duties in settling estates. We are also often called upon to advise and represent beneficiaries or others with an interest when questions arise concerning the validity of a will, or regarding the acts of someone else who is acting as personal representative or trustee.

For insightful counsel and attentive assistance with any estate, probate or trust matter, contact Mellor & Backo, LLP. Your initial consultation with one of our knowledgeable lawyers can be scheduled right now at 941-257-4881 or by email from this website.