Cord has been privileged to serve area residents and business owners ever since opening North Port’s first law office in 1975.
Since 1993 Cord has been Board-certified by The Florida Bar as a specialist in Wills, Trusts and Estates. This certification, currently held by less than 350 Florida lawyers statewide, is granted only upon passing a comprehensive examination on Florida and federal law related to the planning, administration and taxation of trusts and estates. Certification can only be maintained through periodic peer review along with extensive and focused continuing education in the field.
Cord earned both his undergraduate (B.S., Economics) and law degree from Florida State University in Tallahassee. He is a member of The Florida Bar and the Sarasota County Bar Association, in which he has served as an officer and director of the Association’s South County Division.
Cord is the current treasurer, and former board chair, of Coastal Behavioral Healthcare, the region’s oldest non-profit provider mental health and substance abuse services. His previous civic volunteer activities have included leadership roles in the City of North Port (past elected City Commissioner), the Gulf Coast Community Foundation, the Library Foundation for Sarasota County, the North Port Area Chamber of Commerce, and numerous local government advisory boards and committees.
- Will and Trust Drafting
- Trust Administration
- Probate Administration and Litigation
- Planning With Retirement Benefits
- Planning With Life Insurance
- Estate and Gift Tax Planning and Compliance
- Incapacity Planning
- Florida, 1975
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 1985
- Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida
- J.D. - 1975
- Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
- B.S. - 1972
- Major: Economics
- American Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Sarasota County Bar Association
- Venice - Englewood Bar Association, President, 1996-1997